Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Couple Tee


 The Couple Tee - by Jason Abd

What a pleasure to have a new lovable family next door. The family loves to share many foods as delicious as high class restaurant made. Two month ago, Seyfried family came in our neighborhood and became settler of house next mine. The house had left behind by its former so long. Mr. and Mrs. Seyfried are writer married couple. Mr. Seyfried is thriller novel writer and his wife is famed by her recipes books. Since they been present, they shared super delicious foods.
    Once, their only child visited my house. He is handsome and has an innocent look. I was so amazed by the first time I saw him when I open my door house. His smile was melting my heart. Ben Seyfried, this guy would make me melted always.
    “My mom made cupcakes and she loves to your family to enjoy these.” He gave a cardboard to me. Cupcakes smelled so good.  
    I only could receive it. Then, I was motionless and stared and smiled at him.
    He hailed me, “I’m Ben, your new neighbor. Nice to meet you,” said he. Then, because I still said nothing, he asked me, “You…?”
    Oh, his voice was so great!! “Serena, I am Serena. Nice to meet you too,” said me slowly like suffering idiotic.  I absolutely blessed to meet you, Ben.
    Lucky me, he never thought me as a weird girl after that moment. He’s kind, friendly, and easy to get along with everyone. He had fast adaptability. With that handsome face, a friendly human manner, a nice talker, and a great singer, I couldn’t imagine someone doesn’t like him. All girl in the world couldn’t avoid wish to be his date. Ben and I hang out together with our friends.
***
I was leafing through a magazine I just bought in my porch when he came and sat next to me. I concealed my pleasure with focused on the article about “What Guys Really Think of Girl’s Body”. The bench was squeaked when his body sat down. I knew he always go to gym and his body was proportional. So? I’m corpulent. I wish he never thought me as fat girl only.
    “What are your purposes to come here without cakes?” I asked him pretending to not want his presence.

    He gawked, and said, “So, you only want to be my friend because I bribed you with my mother dishes? I should back home to get some pancakes!” he stand up and ready to go.
    But I pulled his arm. “I was kidding. There is something you want to say to me?”
    “I invite you to…,” Ben said slowly with full doubt intonation. My heart shouted jubilation. Will he invite me for a date? Will we go to movie? Or an Italian restaurant that he want to visit with a special girlfriend? I was wondering.
    “I invite you to watch my performance,” said he. I tried to hide my disenchantment. Of course, he involved himself for House (kind of class meeting). Ben is a musician, a great guitarist I’ve ever knew.
    “Absolutely, I love to. Why do you think I will not come there?”
    “Your friend told me that you can’t stand crowded.”
    I prefer to be in my room than crowding to watch a concert. But, Ben invited me, so I couldn’t refuse this one.
Then, I was continuing my reading when Ben needled me. He sang Lady Gaga’s Telephone foolishly. I was laughed like a drain and couldn’t read more then.
    When I saw his t-shirt, I thought it was new one. That tee printed half heart illustration and on the back written “She Loves Me”. I’ve ever seen that before, but I didn’t remember where and when it is.  Did it matter?
***
The concert of House was fabulous. I was amazed with so many people, a large enthusiast crowd in front of stage. I came to concert rarely, and I couldn’t imagine how much people come to a popular rock band’s concert. I thought we should get enough oxygen. Trees must produce O2 excessively because creature who produced CO2 excessive. I got asphyxia.
    For goodness sake and for Ben, I would fain being this crowd.
    My friends also joined me, Coco and Francesca. They both were party queen. When I told them I want to attend House, they’re enthusiast to dressing up me. Coco lent me her gorgeous Tiered Dress. I love them both.
    The DJ announced us that next performance would be Ben. I run the blockade and stand in front of stage. Most girls were also waiting in enthusiast. Yes, Ben was a charming.
    Ben wore that t-shirt again, half of heart. My brain was trying to remember where I saw that in shop window. Why did I care about it? Ben still looked charming. Ben sang John Mayer’s Half of My Heart in acoustic version. Awesome! I clapped hand energetic.
    “Oh half of my heart's got a grip on the situation/half of my heart takes time/half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you/that I can't keep loving you/oh, with half of my heart.”
    He’s staring at me while singing intensely. He looked like want to say something but he need more courage walking like a one man army.
    Apparently, he really wanted to say something! He asked me to go to garden next fish pond. We’re arm in arm. He started to talk, looked through my iris.
    “Serena, we’d been being together for months, I knew there is something about us,” said he. I was freezing up. Then he said, “Something bigger than we know. It’s not about eating my mom’s cakes, or singing in foolish way together, or playing basketball 3 on 3. It’s about heart.”
    He gripped my hand gently. “I wished I told you early but I let my self to be coward. We’ve together by days. Then, I was thinking you also have this feeling. I can be your boyfriend, can’t you?”
    I thought he begged me when my head felt like thunderstruck.
    That tee was pair of couple tee. That tee must be a couple.
    Oh my God, He already has a girlfriend!!
    “Does your t-shirt have pair….”
    I was afraid to hear he wanted me to be his girlfriend whereas his real girlfriend was waiting his call tonight. I knew it was dream come true stuff. He’s angelic, but I couldn’t imagine how naïve he was. I knew some of my friends ever have backstreet relationship, or gone out with other’s girl boyfriend. But, I ain’t one of them. I never want to hurt others.
    “My girl and I have some fight these weeks. I can’t stand her egoistic habit anymore.”
    “Have you broken your relationship up?” I asked with my poker face.
    “I… I will…”
    I petrify.  “I’m not a substitute, Ben. I like you but you can’t make me became your substitution. I’m sorry. You can’t keep love someone with half of your heart…”
    Then, I left him behind. I couldn’t let he know that my tears dripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment